Monday, January 7, 2008

Bug the first, School and Lowered Expectations

Today was the first day back to school after Bug the first's winter break. I'm not sure who was more excited - me or her- but I can tell you with certainty I'm missing her way more than she's missing me. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a bit of a break even if that break means uninterrupted time to get some things done that seems to have passed all too fast.

I dropped her off this morning and she practically RAN into the school. Her teacher and I laughed because there was no goodbye hug and kiss, she was just gone. That's ok. It makes me feel better to know I've picked a place she loves, and as a result I love it too.

I'm also taking some comfort in the knowledge (or at least hope) that by having school in place it will be something that will remain constant for her when Bug the second arrives. Ask me later how I feel about bundling them both up in the morning to leave then then having to turn around and pick her up a mere two and a half hours later, but for now I'm hoping it's time that will help us all after the arrival.

Meanwhile, I'm struggling a bit with all the things I meant to do with my girl while she was on break. I'd had huge plans for activities, crafts, outings etc and time just got away from us. A lot of her outings ended up being to places like the L & D ward and the grocery store. Luckily for me, she didn't mind a bit. I suppose if I'm going to get rid of some of this mommy guilt, I should remember that.