Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fall

I don't know what it is about fall that appeals to me on such a deep level. Yes, I love the colors of changing leaves and the use of apples and cinnamon in abundance. But there's more to it than that.

I love adding an extra blanket to the bed, bundling my children in an extra layer of soft clothing and having an extra excuse to scoot closer to my husband. I'm glad to trade lemonade for hot tea and ice cream for apple pie. Maybe it's the nesting type instinct it brings out it me.

No matter what it is, today looks and smells like fall. The temperature is cooler, there's a bit of rain falling and my yard is covered with the first leaves to drop from the trees.

This will be my last fall in this house. The one that greeted us after our wedding, unchanged but feeling different. It was this house that saw us bring our babies home.

I think today I'm going to stop packing long enough to get cozy for a while.

No comments: